Wednesday, May 07, 2008

word of the day

So. I've decided to get a little more wordy on my blog. Maybe even tell stories, make up stories, request stories. I haven't decided yet. But I have decided to educate those that are interested. The rest of you, feel free to skip down to photos. Some of you that know me may know that I like big words, and if I don't know what they mean, I try to look them up. When Atlee was a month or so old, one word of the day was "magnanimous." I know it's silly, but maybe he'll have a big vocabulary some day.

So I was perusing some of the many photography blogs I stalk--was thinking about signing up for a $2000+ photo workshop in New Orleans--what d'ya think? Anyway, they said there would be a "lagniappe" at the registration booth. So I wanted to know what the heck that was. Here is where Wikipedia comes in--if you want to find out some random facts and anecdotes about anything random, that's the place to go.

"Lagniappe" means a small gift given to a customer by a merchant at the time of a purchase. It means "for good measure." Like, "I'll throw in this 13th donut in for good measure." So I guess it's the reason for a baker's dozen--an extra just because. And it's pronounced "lanny - yap." Or at least I think it is. So now you know. Let me know if any of you out there are able to use this word in a normal conversation.

No comments: